Social Media Cover Banner Quick Guide
Whether you are a business that wants to change the look of your brand’s social media outlets, or you want to show your personal and artistic style, here is quick design guide in creating your social media covers, including size dimensions for four of the most popular networks – Facebook, Twitter, Google Plus and LinkedIn (Premium only).
Quick Tips in Designing Cover Photos for Social Media Platforms
- Keep a consistent look and feel for your brand throughout all of your social media networks.
- Keep your networks fresh w/ new imagery. If you’re a designer, photographer, or artist, you can add a banner on the cover photo section as a way to showcase your work if you’re showing a single image or multiple images in a grid-like format.
- Create your cover photos to reflect your style, personality or brand. Remember, cover photos should provide a visual background for your networks and are not meant to be used to advertise or sell anything.
- High resolution images are strongly recommended. Anything smaller would look pixelated, fuzzy or have low quality. When you download images, it’s best to download from your computer instead of your phone or tablet. I noticed personally that if downloading a banner from the phone, the banner looks grainy if viewing from a computer.
- If you’re promoting a business, try adding a logo as your profile picture.
Social Media Banner Sizes
Facebook (Source: Facebook Cover Size Helper)
- Profile photo – Page profile pictures are square and display at 160×160 pixels on your Page. The photo you upload must be at least 180×180 pixels.
- Timeline Cover Photo – Facebook cover size is 851 x 315 pixels.
Twitter (Source: Mediabistro-All Twitter)
- Header – On-screen size is 1500 pixels wide x 500 pixels high, but Twitter recommends uploading an image up to upload 3000 pixels wide × 1000 wide photo while under 5MB.
- Profile photo – Maximum upload size is 400 x 400 pixels (up to 2MB). Once uploaded, the photo decreases to 200 x 200 pixels on screen.
Google Plus (Source: Google Plus For You)
- Profile Photo – 250 x 250 pixels
- Cover Photo – 480 x 270 pixels
LinkedIn Premium (Source: Social Media Examiner)
- Cover Photo – 1400 x 425 pixels
Still trying to understand the social media lingo? Here’s a glossary of terms for reference created by MediaMiser.